1st week of the semester sucked big time as usual. I have a presentation on my essay due next week while I am still feeling very disorientated. Sick of writing scholar-ly things. Why can’t the department let us draw our assignment topics or something?
Anyway I haven’t been sleeping well ever since I moved back. Had weird dreams quite frequently and half the morning is already gone when I wake up.
The most recent dream I had was last night. Researched on the objects and sceneries that appeared, and I was quite amazed how the different symbols turned out to be quite coherent in accounting for how my life is at this juncture.
Prior to sleeping I was hanging up some old postcards with China scenery on my drawer to spice it up a little, so it probably had some connection with what I dreamt.
Okay here how it went:
Dreamt that a group of us went to China for a field trip. One of the sites was a desert and we had to stay there for a night. A sandstorm occured at night and freaked everyone out.
The next morning we were supposed to attend a seminar (I think the building located in the desert). When we reached the class I realised my wallet and handphone were missing. My room mate and I told the professor about it and we went to look for it by ourselves, in the desert! On the way we passed by a temporary stall selling souvenirs and my room mate bought something (can’t remember what it was)
We started our search by tracing the route according to how we arrived to the semimar location. After walking past many buildings we located my wallet. When I opened it, there was sand inside but everything was intact.
A little while more we found my phone case but not my phone. Then we came across a phone which was the exact model I am carrying, but when I turned on the screen it was a different screensaver from mine, with a locked screen. Somemore my phone was also protected with a password lock so no one could have tampered with it.
And then I woke up.
A lovely photo of the desert:
This is Dun Huang in China, a major stop of the ancient overland Silk Road and its caves are rich with buddhist scriptures. Can you believe this town exists right in the middle of a desert?
Back to topic. According to the internet (come on you don’t need a goddamn scholarly source about dream interpretations right!), the objects reveal the following:
● Field trip- You need to incorporate what you have learned with your experiences. The dream represents a transitional phase. Consider the symbolism of what you see and how your felt during the field trip.
● Desert- Desert often indicates that you live too sober, factual and reasonable, also the emotional needs are neglected, you feel unhappy. Finally, the desert also indicates deep existential fear and uncertainty.
● Sandstorm- You are feeling trapped, confined and disoriented in some waking situation. Time is working against you.
● Seminar- You are expanding your knowledge and understanding. There is something that you need to learn or incorporate into your understanding.
● Missing phone- It represents a lack of communication. You have lost touch with some aspect of your feelings or your Self. If you find a cell phone, then it symbolizes reconnection and reopened communication./ You are closing yourself off to understanding or confrontation.
● Missing wallet- Wallet is related to self-identity or financial security. Losing your wallet indicates that you are losing touch with your true identity. You are experiencing some anxiety over changes and uncertainties happening in your life.
The meanings do connect to my reality. Right now my mind is still in dreamland and I can’t stop watching ballet videos on youtube. Apart from wondering if I can survive the torturous process of writing essays and another round of exams, I am also thinking of the upcoming summer break. Worried that I will face yet another internship rejection which I cannot stomach.
Yeah that sums up this post. Going for a 6 hour fund raising dance marathon tomorrow. Hopefully some inspiration for my upcoming assignment which is due real soon (The threat is real) will pop up while working out.