(Updated: new character added! )
Actually I didnt read the book but watched the movie instead, although I am convinced that I should read the book now after reading internet posts about it. My 1st exposure to Hunger Games was during the Penang Field Trip where we (specifically the girls) were watching it in the hotel room. At first I couldnt understand what was going on cos I wasnt interested.
My life changed after I watched the 2nd sequel! So I was having my biannual meet up with a friend and he suggested watching Hunger Games although I was initially reluctant. Overall the movie was quite enjoyable. The opening ceremony (I forgot the exact terminology where the tributes enter the Capitol on chariots) was spectacular and of course the Quarter Quell until the force field collapsed.
Except for a few parts.
1. The ending. Because it was a cliffhanger and viewers have to wait for another year for the 3rd sequel part 1.
2. And I didnt like Effie Trinket somehow.
3. And I felt as though I didnt know the other past victors well enough. When The Fallen are shown in the sky at night I was like “Oh no so-and-so died? I didnt even see this person before!”
Anyway the next day I went to watch part 1 again on megashare. And now I want to borrow the book to read although most of them are borrowed so I read the guide book instead. Pretty interesting. The author links certain characteristics of Panem to historical examples, such as the Roman Empire. The Hunger Games are seen as Bread and Circus, which was a way to keep the Panem citizens entertained like how the Roman authorities did to their people by providing them gladiator shows to watch. She even does an in-depth analysis of the tributes from the 74th Hunger Games like their weaknesses and concludes by linking similarities between Katniss and Mockingjay.
Ok shant spoil anymore. Good books need to be recommended. Go read it!
So let me give my 2 cents worth on some characters based on both movies:
1. Johanna (District 7 female victor)– To begin with she survived the 71st Hunger Games cos she fooled the others into thinking that she was weak during the assessment so that was some strategic intelligence. She has that attitude and I like her act of sacrifice like when she ripped off Katniss’s tracking device to fool the District 2 people into thinking that Katniss was dead while she herself went after the District 2 people.
2. Beetee (District 3 male victor)– He is a genius! And the best thing is how he uses his intelligence in a good way, like coming up with the plan of winding the wire around the tree to destroy the arena to end the games. Subsequently he creates weapons for the rebels to aid them in the rebellion against the capitol. If you read further on you would have probably known that those technology turned out to harm the innocent, like the bomb which went off at the capitol and killed Prim. But I guess he didnt want that to happen either.
3. Foxface (District 5 female tribute in 74th Hunger Games)– I like her intelligence like how she worked through the mines around the career tribute’s food supply to steal their food and her strategy of staying forgotten throughout the game, although it backfired on her in the end. Okay I am not sure whether she ate the nightlock cos she was too hungry, but I am also convinced by another theory that she chose to eat it out of suicide. Although she was in the final 5 but she was too weak and had no weapons to kill so she will get killed eventually. So why not make it accidental instead of dying tragically?
4. Cinna (Katniss’s stylist)– One great man who puts his intelligence through creating an image for Katniss to make her known to the audience, yet subtly defying the Capitol at the same time. He is indeed professional and never stops believing in Katniss’s abilities, going beyond what is needed for a stylist.
Characters who dont deserve to die:
Of course all of them! Who would be in the right mood to send people to their own death? But anyway here are 4 of them:
1. Rue (District 8 female tribute in 74th Hunger Games)– Awwww she is just too sweet and kind to Katniss! No need further explanation, I am sure all Hunger Games fans agree. Right?!
2. Mags (District 4 female victor)– When she kissed Finnick goodbye and walked voluntarily into the poisonous fumes (because Peeta was too weak to run and Katniss couldnt carry Peeta so Finnick had to do the job but he couldnt possibly carry 2 people) I just wanted to cry. Enough said!
3. Finnick (District 4 male victor)– He died during the rebellion in the 3rd part. But anyway, he may look shallow but deep down he is really loyal and did his best to protect his alliance against the other careers, although he was a career and could have got rid of his allies (Yeah it was Haymitch’s orders but still….) And even though he is strong and all but there is a human side to him like how upset he got over Mags. Seriously I will hate the part when he dies.
4. Cinna– Getting killed over a dress because it was a statement of political defiance wasnt worth it. I wish the Capitol was stupid enough to fail to see through his real intentions.
Characters whom I wish to know more:
1. District 8 male in 74th Hunger Games– Just 8 seconds into the bloodbath and he died? Somemore his odds of winning were 3-1 which was the same as Cato who was a Career. How did he do that, seriously?
2. Any victor from District 9- Usually District 9 tributes are the least elaborated on both in the book and movie so that constitutes part of a mystery. And all tributes were killed during the bloodbath at both games which suggests that they arent strong either. Did anyone wonder how District 9 managed to produce a victor?
3. Cecelia (District 8 female victor)- She came across as a motherly figure since she had 3 children and got separated from them when she got reaped. So i expecting more elaboration on her character since it was rare to have a known tribute with children to appear in the games and how she would exercise her motherly instincts. But anyway she died too early too soon at the bloodbath. Come to think of it, she was one of the tribute districts who pledged to save Katniss. Maybe that was a motherly part of her when she sacrificed herself at the Cornucopia?
1. Thresh (District 11 male tribute in 74th Hunger Games)– Hahahaha. Tall, strong, good looking, yet has a side of loyalty towards his district by letting Katniss escape after knowing that she had a dignified burial for Rue.
2. Finnick- this doesnt need explanation.
Characters that irritated me:
1. Clove (District 2 female tribute in 74th Hunger Games)– she sounded like a childish bitch during her fight with Katniss at the Cornucopia feast. Seriously. The intonation, pitch and every part of her lines.
2. Effie Trinket (Escort for District 12)– I just didnt like the way she acts and she looks like a total alien when she stands amongst the District 12 crowds.
Ok I shall end off here. May the odds be in your favour!
PS Just wondering what happens to the wolf mutts (In the book they were created with DNA from the dead tributes. Some like Foxface, Thresh and Rue were recognised cos their features were too distinct) if they make it out of the final battle alive?
PPS I am glad that Beetee and Johanna made it out alive.